Launch iTerm 2 on startup without opening a terminal window

14 Mar
14/03/2013

iTerm 2 is the best Terminal replacement for Mac OS X.

As somebody, spending most of his time on the console, I set up the Hotkey window so it opens fullscreen on my MacBook Air and fills half of the screen in my iMac. Obviously, I added iTerm 2 to the Login Items in Users & Groups to automatically launch it on startup.

One little thing always bothered me, though: On launch, iTerm 2 automatically opens a terminal window.

This means, whenever I reboot my MacBook Air, I end up having a console window open. Ticking the Hide checkbox in Login Items does not change anything.

Here is, how to prevent this┬ábehaviour. It’s not all that intuitive, so I thought sharing it might help others:

1. Open iTerm 2.
  2. Close all console windows.
  3. Go to Window > Save Window Arrangement.
  4. Name the new arrangement. I named mine “No Windows”.
  5. Make sure to set it as the default in Preferences > Arrangements.
  6. Last but not least, in Preferences… > General under Startup make sure that “Open default window arrangement” is the only option checked.

That’s it. The next time iTerm 2 is launched on startup, no annoying window is opened.

Tags:
  1. Benjamin Yocum says:

Thanks so much for this tip. You explained it very well and it was exactly what I was looking for. I’m sure it would have taken me a long time to figure that out by myself!

2. Pineapple says:

Dude… awesome. This has bothered me so much, and I’m so glad you wrote this.

3. Sahar Massachi says:

This is great! Thank you so much.

4. Robin says:

I searched google and your website answered the call for which I offer my thanks.

5. Dennis says:

Thanks a lot!

6. Markus says:

Perfect! Thanks a lot!!

7. Ted says:

Thanks so much for sharing this – it had been really bugging me.

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

© Copyright 2013 by Ralf Rottmann. rottmann.net is a work in progress by Ralf Rottmann. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
If you would like to make use of any of the content you see here, please contact the author.